Saturday, April 2, 2011

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week: Something To Aspire To


Share/Bookmark
Is there a pattern or skill that you don’t yet feel ready to tackle but which you hope to (or think you can only dream of) tackling in the future, near or distant? Is there a skill or project that makes your mind boggle at the sheer time, dedication and mastery of the craft? Maybe the skill or pattern is one that you don’t even personally want to make but can stand back and admire those that do. Maybe it is something you think you will never be bothered to actually make bu can admire the result of those that have.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I actually have several techniques and projects that intimidate me at the moment, but which I fully intend to be able to at least grasp the concept of before the end of 2011. Well, maybe not one, simply because I do not have the supplies to practice that type of project yet, so it may rollover into 2012. The three skills/projects are cables, socks, and lace.

Cables are close to being tamed. I understand how to do them, and I've memorized the videos that show you how to move the stitches over the others or remove them and pull the other stitches forward; I have just yet to try it. I do not have any patterns that I feel confident enough to try that have cables in them. I have been wanting to swatch some cables just to practice at it, but I'm not sure if a specific stitch count is needed, and I'm not 100% sure how to do the mirrored image of the cable (gotta keep it symmetrical). Cables, however, are the closest to being mastered.

Socks are just an "I want to make my own" project because I like funky colored clothes and toe socks and such, and white or gray socks from Walmart are super boring. I swear, the odder the sock, the more I like it. I have a pair of fuzzy "Cat in the Hat" socks that are in rainbow colors. My daughter loves them as well. I also go through store-bought socks very quickly. Like as in most don't go a week without getting a hole in them somewhere or having the elastic in the leg break and unravel. I'm murder on socks. And to be honest, my husband and kids aren't much better. I do probably need a few supplies to make socks, like smaller dpns, sock blockers, sock yarn (yes, I don't even own proper sock yarn, but that will be getting remedied in just a few weeks.), but learning to knit socks is on my to-do list for this year. Maybe when things pick up, I'll be able to start learning this summer.

Lace....ah lace. The bane of my existence. I love it. It is the most beautiful form of knitting/crochet that I have ever seen, and for the life of me, I can't figure it out. All I ever get is knots. And if I do figure it out, I end up losing count and dropping stitches because it does take a lot of attention to make sure you don't miss anything and I also have at least one child trying to sit in my lap, give me a toy, or crying because she can't walk and chew gum at the same time and has fallen...again. (Oh yes, Anna has inherited my wonderful coordination. She has fallen three times already today and it's only a little after 8 am...)

But those are my three goals for this year to learn. I know I'll figure out cables here soon. Socks will come as they come. Lace will probably continue to elude me for another year.

No comments: