Sunday, April 3, 2011

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week: My Knitting and Crochet Time


Share/Bookmark
Write about your typical crafting time. When it is that you are likely to craft – alone or in more social environments, when watching TV or whilst taking bus journeys. What items do you like to surround yourself with whilst you twirl your hook like a majorette’s baton or work those needles like a skilled set of samurai swords. Do you always have snacks to hand, or are you a strictly ‘no crumbs near my yarn!’ kind of knitter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My typical knitting/crochet time. I really don't think I ever have a typical time. I'm always crafting in the same room as my family, so I usually am knitting/crocheting over one knee while Anna sits on the other to watch her movies. I don't mind her having food while she is in my lap with my fiber work as long as it's a solid food (ABSOLUTELY no applesauce). Crumbs shake out easily and definitely wash out. If she is food free, she usually holds one of my balls of yarn (read that as "grasps it tightly to her chest as a lovely and squeals every time I unravel a little to keep working"). I do not, however, let her touch anything that is natural fiber other than cotton. She can hug my cotton and my acrylics. I try to keep the better fibers as clean as I can since they have to be hand-washed.

We have animals, but they are absolutely not allowed near my yarns. I do not enjoy picking stray dog or cat hairs out of my yarn as I am working, and I swear that my animals are like that white Himalayan cat in the commercial who sneezes and sheds all her hair immediately all over the room. Especially my chow.

Other than that, there really isn't a typical time. There is always some background noise (movies, video game music and battle sounds, music, children beating on toys, dogs barking at squirrels, etc), but the background noise is never the same. I'm not always sitting in the same chair, and sometimes, I'm not even sitting. I've been known to shove my ball of yarn in my waist apron pocket and stand in front of the heater as I crochet. I've also placed it on a spare knitting needle shoved into the small hole between my side table drawer and the drawer frame so that it can roll off freely as I am working on the bed in my "lazy knitter" position.

I have also had times where Anna has crawled in the box with my yarns as I was working and loved all the balls of yarn. Every day is different.

No comments: