Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week: Tidy Mind, Tidy Stitches.


Share/Bookmark
How do you keep your yarn wrangling organized? It seems like an easy to answer question at first, but in fact organization exists on many levels. Maybe you are truly not organized at all, in which case I am personally daring you to try and photograph your stash in whatever locations you can find the individual skeins. However, if you are organized, blog about an aspect of that organization process, whether that be a particularly neat and tidy knitting bag, a decorative display of your crochet hooks, your organized stash or your project and stash pages on Ravelry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To understand my organization of my knitting and crocheting supplies, one must first understand that I have inherited (and admittedly nicked, but only from my mother's stuff) a lot of supplies. I have at least 4 sets of each size of knitting needle, and two or more of each crochet hook. I firmly believe that my hooks/needles should never leave a project until it is finished, and since I don't like having empty needles/hooks lying around, I tend to have a lot of projects going. On that note, we shall continue.

For my needles and hooks, I have a long shelf that sits on top of my longest worktable. On this shelf sits multiple recycled baby formula cans placed three deep on the shelf and reaching from end to end. All my needles and hooks are separated into a can per each size. Yes, I am very O.C.D. about some things. A few of these cans are fairly full (popular needle and hook sizes), but others only have a set or two in each one. BUT I know exactly where to reach for a particular size.

Now, my yarn is a different story. I wish I could say that I was just as O.C.D. about it, but honestly, I don't have a lot of space to store the stuff color-coded or fiber-coded, so it all sits in the little cubby holes of a Munchkin-brand rolling organizing station that was intended for baby items. Since my daughter flipped it over the first time she crawled over to it, it was quickly relocated to a different room for a new use. I have all my yarns rolled into little cakes and they are stacked in there as neatly and as tightly as I could. The only exception would be my Peaches N Cream and Lily n Creme cotton yarn. All of that is rolled into handmade balls and rests in a little knick-knack basket that my grandmother gave my mother to hold baby goodies when I was born.

As for my Works-in-progress...well, it's a bit shameful, but each project is sealed in a plastic grocery bag until it is completed. Once completed, I cut the plastic bag up for plarn. LOL. My husband is always bringing home more plastic bags because he refuses to say "Paper" or use a green bag, so I always have plastic baggies for WIP storage and plarn. On a good note, however, the plastic bags keep my work safe whenever a formula bottle or sippy cup leaks in the diaper bag.

No comments: