Monday, March 28, 2011

Knitting and Crochet Blog Week: A Tale of Two Yarns.


Share/Bookmark
Part of any fibre enthusiast’s hobby is an appreciation of yarn. Choose two yarns that you have either used, are in your stash or which you yearn after and capture what it is you love or loathe about them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before I start in on the topic above, I want to let my readers know that I am participating in the Knitting and Crochet Blog Week, so all my posts for the next seven days will be about fiber arts in some way. Now, on to today's topic.

In my few years of dabbling with the fiber arts, I have actually come across a few yarns that I will never use again. Fortunately, I don't have to watch out for them because the vast majority of them have been discontinued for many years, or the companies that make them no longer use that specific chemical make-up (for acrylics). Most of my starter stash was comprised of gifted acrylics from God-only-knows how long ago. One of the price tags said 15 cents, if that gives anyone a clue. Some of them were wonderful to work with--almost like knitting with wool. Others were dreadful. You could feel the plasticity (is that even a word?) as you knitted with them. They were hard, weren't very flexible at all, and slid off the aluminum needles that I had far too fast. I dropped more stitches then I kept on. To say the least, my first experience with trying to knit was a fiasco, and I actually ended up putting my needles down for a long time.

Enter the Internet and cotton yarn. Cotton doesn't quite have the bounciness of acrylic yarns or wool yarns, but it was comfortable to my hands. And with the Internet, I was able to look up videos and replay them as many times as I needed to in order to learn a stitch (my knitting teacher didn't have much patience with me, and you'd think I would have learned, but I later asked her to show me how to crochet and literally got a 30-second lesson on how to chain, double chain, treble chain, slip stitch, and make a shell pattern.... needless to say, it didn't stick.) But enough of that, back to yarns.

I don't have a lot of the "good stuff" yet, so I really can't tell if I have a favorite yarn or not. I've only ever worked with wool, cotton, and acrylics. Acrylics have, at least, come a long way, so many brands are quite pleasurable to work with now. I would love to get my hands on some alpaca or silk yarn.... ooh... *wanders off to drool over other peoples' Ravelry stashes*

No comments: