Saturday, October 2, 2010

Going Beyond the Basics


Share/Bookmark
Everyone who has read this blog, visited my fanpage, or gone through my shop knows that I make and sell chainmaille jewelry. What many people don't know is that I also love to knit and crochet. Mostly crochet, but I get a hankering to knit every once in a while. I have amassed a fairly large stash of yarn over the last few years from gifts, destashes, and "inheriting" (i.e. someone who did yarncrafts passed on, or someone who wanted to learn yarncrafts gave up.) Not having a lot of room to store stuff at the present moment, I finally put my foot down and forced myself to sit in front of how-to videos that took me beyond basic crochet and knitting. (I could single crochet and I could knit and purl, but beyond that, I was just tying knots in the yarn and angering myself.)

I'm currently making a test scarf using single crochet, double crochet, treble crochet, double crochet, single crochet repeating with a line of single crochet between each line for sturdiness. It has honestly been frogged back to the beginning about nine times now. I'm waiting for my husband to start calling it the "Never-ending Scarf," but I'm learning.

I will post some pictures of my attempts soon. Some are embarrassing, so they may stay on the camera until I get ready to delete everything, but I have a few attempts that look fairly nice.

Beyond that, I've been very quiet because everyone in the house is sick right now. And with me being in my last 33 days of pregnancy and running around behind an 18-month old, I just don't have much more energy to spare. So I create and learn while I am having to sit and rest, then nap when she decides to rest. I will get back in the swing of things soon!

No comments: