Friday, October 8, 2010

Featured Artisan: Lisa of JYOUlry


Share/Bookmark

Today's Featured Artisan is Lisa of JYOUlry.

-- Jessica

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am the mother of three boys. My twins are 7 and my little guy is a year and a half. I am an interior designer turned jewelry designer. jYOUlry is a uniquely designed brand of photo jewelry, it is fashionable, trendy and each piece is handcrafted with love. Our high quality ensures your gifts can be treasured for a lifetime and can be passed down through generations. Our low prices and quick delivery make jYOUlry that perfect gift for someone you love or a special treat for yourself!

1. When and why did you start crafting?

I have a necklace with a photo pendant of my two older boys on it that I bought years ago. About 2 years ago when I was pregnant with my baby, I tried to order a new one, but sadly they were no longer making them. I wasn’t able to find the pendant I had in mind anywhere, and finally I decided I would simply make it myself. And just like that, my new business was born! At first I merely wanted to replace my old pendant, and perhaps make some for family and friends, but it has grown past that and I finally realized I needed to offer my pieces online. My family and I relocated to Panama about 2.5 years ago and my Spanish is not very good to say the least, LOL. so this has also developed into a great way for me to work and speak in English :)

2. What do you enjoy most about your crafting?

The design. I started like every other photo jewelry maker out there with square and circle shapes. Although they are excellent starter pieces to my collection, I love designing the one of a kind jewelry pieces for my collection you can't find anywhere else. Unlike my competition, I am actually a jewelry designer incorporating treasured photo keepsakes into my designs. I also love that I feature unique photo accessories and gifts as well. My collection is not just for woman!

3. How did you find out about your online selling venues and why did you start selling there?

I've known about Etsy for many years and I used it to buy many of my supplies when I started the business so it just made sense to sell there as well. Artfire I discovered while also searching for supplies. I found several shops selling what i wanted on Artfire, which I had never heard about before. So I did a little research on it and found it also to be a great marketplace for my product.

4. What is the hardest thing to do for your shop? Is there anything you dislike about selling online?

I love selling online, its very easy and keeps overhead at an absolute minimum so I can continue to keep my prices low for my customers. It is hard losing a little of the one on one experience of working with a real person. However it's like have a store open 24 hours a day and that's great! Many of my customers buy in the middle of the night when the house is quiet and I love that they can shop calmly in their pj's without the stress of needing to get somewhere or the kids touching something breakable, etc... you know as mom's we've all been "there"!

5. Do you rely on your online selling venues to help pay bills or is it mainly for fun & extra spending money?

Mainly for fun and extra spending money although now I do need it to keep growing to support itself so I'm not putting more of my own money into it to keep it growing.

6. Have you tried or do you sell in offline shops? Do you enjoy that more or less than your online selling venues? Why?

I do sell offline. I have a wholesale program I offer mainly to photography studios but to some boutiques and specialty shops as well. I do enjoy the wholesale process a lot because I am dealing with the same buyers on a regular basis. I can anticipate the re-orders and which designs to be sure to have in stock.

7. Where else can you be found online?

Of course I have my Etsy (www.jYOUlry.etsy.com) and Artfire (www.jYOUlry.artfire.com) shops, I also have a mini shops on zibbet (www.zibbet.com/jYOUlry), craft is art (www.craftisart.com/jYOUlry) and my own website: www.jYOUlry.com as well as a fan page on facebook (www.facebook.com/jYOUlry)








1 comment:

jYOUlry said...

Looks fantastic!!! Thanks so much for featuring jYOUlry!!!