Friday, October 23, 2009

Featured Artist: Kerry Wilkinson of Penny Dog


Share/Bookmark
1. When and why did you start crafting?

I have always crafted since I was at nursery, I guess I've always been creative, but not artistic as I can't work with pencils, paint, etc. I started making jewellery 11 years ago when I was 12 and haven't looked back.

2. What do you enjoy most about your crafting?

I like coming up with my own techniques and having my own recognisable style. I think it's taught me a lot about myself; my likes and dislikes, etc. It also relaxes me, I get quite anxious and stressed sometimes, but never when at home crafting, or even promoting my work.

3. How did you find out about your selling venue and why did you start selling there?

I first started selling on Etsy when I discovered it through Google a couple of years ago. I can't remember if I was looking to buy something or not but I found it completely by accident as it's not that well heard of here in the UK, and then I decided to see if I could sell some of my photography prints. I've closed that shop now, but it was a good taster to see if Etsy was for me or not.

4. What is the hardest thing to do for your shop or you dislike the most about selling online?

I dislike the irregularity of selling, and the fact that I sell more if people can actually touch my pieces and study them in real life. I don't mind promoting but struggling to get into Facebook!

5. Do you rely on your selling venue to help pay bills or is it mainly for fun & extra spending money?

I can't survive purely on my job because of debts that I need to pay off, though if I stopped buying supplies, who knows! I do now sort of rely on it, and I hope to gradually cut down my working hours to devote more time to my business as I'm doing quite well getting into bricks and mortar shops at the minute.

6. Have you tried or do you sell in offline shops? Do you enjoy that more or less than your selling venue & why?

I like selling offline because the customer can get a better idea of the product. Sometimes it has been more successful that others, but it's about finding the right location and the right market. I lie the feedback I get from the shop owners and the cheque in the post is quite nice to open too!

7. Where else can you be found online?

I have my own website: www.pennydog.com The UK has it's own versions of Etsy too, so I can be found at http://pennydog.folksy.com, http://pennydog.coriandr.com, and http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/pennydog.html as well as on twitter: http://twitter.com/pennydog and my blog http://pennydog.wordpress.com.
There's also Facebook and Flickr but I think there's plenty of links to be getting on with there!


No comments: