Friday, October 30, 2009

Featured Artist: Kelly Murphy of Kelly is Awesome


Share/Bookmark
Kelly Murphy is an artist who was born in Brooklyn and currently lives and works in the suburbs of New Jersey. She holds a B.F.A. in printmaking and art history from Mason Gross at Rutgers University. Kelly has exhibited work in New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Her work is inspired by natural and man made structures, childhood memories and an overactive imagination.

1. When and why did you start crafting?

I have always been making things whether it be for fun or more serious artwork. I started making this series of drawings of chickens singing rap songs and mailing them to my friends. They thought they were hysterical and wanted to pay for more! So I started an Etsy shop to sell my drawings and recently some jewelry.

2. What do you enjoy most about your crafting?

Mainly I like to make things that amuse me and will amuse my friends. I'm pretty simple, I do it all for a smile.

3. How did you find out about your selling venue and why did you start selling there?

I sell on Etsy which I had heard of through friends and felt comfortable with the paypal set up.

4. What is the hardest thing to do for your shop or you dislike the most about selling online?

Sometimes, I will get random purchases and appear on blogs of other Etsy goers which is nice. Otherwise I have no idea who or if anyone is looking to buy my stuff.

5. Do you rely on your selling venue to help pay bills or is it mainly for fun & extra spending money?

It's mainly for fun and a little extra beer money.

6. Have you tried or do you sell in offline shops? Do you enjoy that more or less than your selling venue & why?

I do sell at Urban Alchemist which is a super cool design collective in Park Slope Brooklyn.
I like both venues for selling. Sometimes it's nice to see things in person especially the scale of the drawings and the frames they come in, but online shopping is quick and easy and safe through Etsy.

7. Where else can you be found online?

Twitter: Kellyisawesome
Blog: http://suburbansabbatical.typepad.com/
Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6772803
Shop name: Kelly is awesome

No comments: