Friday, September 18, 2009

Featured Artist: Michele K of MaruMaru


Share/Bookmark

MaruMaru.etsy.com is an online boutique that features retro and vintage inspired jewelry from flower cabochons and 70s kitsch to cute owl charms.

1. When and why did you start crafting?

I started liking jewelry when I began working in the jewelry department at a well-known retail store. At first, I didn't see what the big hype was over jewelry until I would stand for hours at a time and become anxious to try a few things on. When I wasn't helping customers, I was trying on jewelry whenever I could and soon enough I put everything I liked on hold so nobody could buy them! I'm really picky about jewelry, so whenever I'd buy a necklace, I'd use my pliers to take off or add parts to it to make it just right.

I just opened up my shop two years ago on Etsy and recently one on Artfire :)

I love vintage-inspired and retro charms, and absolutely cannot live without color. I wanted my shop to reflect this, so I started using origami papers I had lying around to use as backgrounds. When I'm not playing around in my jewelry supply box, I'm at the movies or drinking champagne! I especially love independent/foreign films and annoying my tuxedo cat, Neko.


2. What do you enjoy most about your crafting?

I enjoy crafting because I love putting little pieces together and being able to wear them and know that I made them. I like it even more when I receive compliments or have people ask me where they can get my pieces.

3. How did you find out about Etsy/Artfire and why did you start selling there?

I randomly came across Etsy by surfing through profiles on MySpace and saw them promoting their Etsy shop. I decided that it wouldn't hurt to try and it looked like a lot of work but fun, too!


4. What is the hardest thing to do for your shop or you dislike the most about selling online?

It's hard to sell jewelry! It's such a saturated category, there's just so many jewelry shops on Etsy, it's important to keep promoting and not let your shop sit there. I had some problems with people sending checks/money orders, so now I only accept payment via PayPal.


5. Do you rely on Etsy/Artfire to help pay bills or is it mainly for fun & extra spending money?

I wish I could rely on Etsy to pay my bills, but I work a part-time job elsewhere. I do this mostly for fun and to treat myself to some champagne and tickets to the movies :)

6. Have you tried or do you sell in offline shops? Do you enjoy that more or less than Etsy/Artfire & why?

I have sold many of my items wholesale to shops in the mainland as well as another website. I have yet to sell my items in person at a craft fair.


7. Where else can you be found online?

You can find me at:

Etsy: http://marumaru.etsy.com
MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/marumarudesigns
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/marumaru
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/marumarudesigns
Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MaruMaruetsycom/45920829452


Etsy: Your place to buy & sell all things handmade
MaruMaru.etsy.com

No comments: