Friday, August 21, 2009

Featured Artist: Tracey Rediker of Red Linc Art


Share/Bookmark

My name is Tracey Rediker and I have been an artist for as long as I can remember. I love working on my own and with my children at my side creating their own masterpieces. For years I have created art for the homes of my friends and family but had never considered selling it for fear of rejection. Etsy, with its inexpensive start-up costs and easy promotions, has been a great way for me to get my work out there. My art tends to be interpreted as dark though i see it as introspective. It is generally figurative or natural in content.



1. When and why did you start crafting?

I started my training in oil painting when I was 8 and have dipped my brush in lots of tester pots since. I opened my shop to sell my handmade greeting cards which I illustrate and assemble myself. love trying out all different forms of expression which is why my shop has such a variety of items available. Knitting is probably my most recent form of expression.

2. What do you enjoy most about your crafting?

I enjoy creating something new out of nothing. I love being able to put a spotlight on things that others may not notice and give emotion to inanimate objects.

3. How did you find out about Etsy and why did you start selling there?

A friend was successfully selling her crocheted shawls on the site and suggested it would be a good venue for my wares. i figured for the low start up costs it was worth a try.

4. What is the hardest thing to do for your shop or you dislike the most about selling on-line?

I am having trouble finding time to create and to keep up with my on-line promotions. I also find it frustrating that the sales are so inconsistent.

5. Do you rely on Etsy to help pay bills or is it mainly for fun & extra spending money?

My goal is to pay for the material costs of creating my art, though it would be nice to be able to have an actual income from it!

6. Have you tried or do you sell in offline shops? Do you enjoy that more or less than Etsy & why?

I have my greeting cards available in some local shops in my area and I had some paintings on display available for sale as well. The personal level of rejection when things don't sell in those venues is much more painful then on-line where you rarely meet your customer. Though the joy of seeing them purchase an item with excitement cannot be matched.

7. Where else can you be found on-line?

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eatontown-NJ/Red-Linc-Design-by-Tracey-Rediker/91698714501

Twitter: http://www,twitter.com/redlinc

Blogger: http://jello84.blogspot.com

Etsy: Your place to buy & sell all things handmade
redlinc.etsy.com

No comments: